It’s been 80+ degrees here almost every day for the past couple of weeks. When the heat is on, what a great time to make…
But seriously, is there ever a bad time for soup? Especially when everything is made in the Crock Pot so you don’t have to worry about warming up the house having the burners on.
After a quick scan of the pantry and refrigerator (and needing to find a recipe for all of the beans that David bought), I decided to make…
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
1 lb chicken breast
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
8 oz dry black beans (half of the Goya bag)
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
14 oz can whole kernel sweet corn
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Optional: Shredded Mexican cheese and tortilla chips/strips
1) Cook the chicken in the crockpot, adding just a bit of water and chicken stock. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours
2) While that’s cooking, make the black beans according to the package (of course, canned black beans would be a whole lot easier, I was just working with what I had)
3) Just about 15 minutes before the chicken is done, sauté the onion and garlic
4) Add all of the ingredients into the crockpot and let it simmer on Keep Warm or on LOW for about an hour
5) Top with shredded cheese and tortilla chips
Makes 8 servings | Total Time (to include cooking the chicken): about 5 hours
Since my husband is not a big fan of beans, I have been enjoying this allll by myself. Yummy!
What’s your favorite soup recipe?